This article describes how to report and ensure illegal hoardings are removed. Advertisements in public places are controlled by BBMP and an advertising tax has to be paid.
2 Steps Overview
- Collect information about the hoardings: Take photographs and note the location including landmarks.
- Find the owner of the hoarding by using the displayed phone number or the web site address.
- Check whether the hoarding is illegal by asking the owner for the BBMP approval letter.
- Politely ask the owner to remove the hoardings.
- Share the illegal hoardings pictures in your community Facebook, WhatsApp groups, and ask people to call the offender.
- Use one of the following apps to file a complaint:
- BBMP Official Sahaaya
- Do not do business with, purchase products from, or get services from repeated illegal hoarders.
- You can also escalate to the BBMP Commissioner by tweeting BBMP Commissioner
3 Applicable Laws
THE KARNATAKA OPEN PLACES (PREVENTION OF DISFIGUREMENT) ACT, 1981 Section 3.Penalty for unauthorised disfigurement by advertisement.- Whoever by himself or through another person affixes to, or erects, inscribes or exhibits on, any place open to pubic view any advertisement without the written permission of the local authority having jurisdiction over such area, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six months or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.
THE KARNATAKA MUNICIPALITIES ACT, 1964 Section 133.
Prohibition of advertisements without written permission of municipal council.— (1) No advertisement shall, after the levy of the tax under section 94 has been determined upon by the municipal council, be exhibited, erected, fixed or retained upon or over any land, building, wall, hoarding, frame, post or structure or upon or in any vehicle or shall be displayed in any manner whatsoever in any place within the municipal area without the written permission of the municipal council, granted in accordance with bye-laws made under this Act.
4 Sample picture of an illegal hoarding
- THE KARNATAKA OPEN PLACES (PREVENTION OF DISFIGUREMENT) ACT, 1981
- THE KARNATAKA MUNICIPALITIES ACT, 1964
- BBMP Advertisement Department